Sunday, June 1, 2008

Trust: What I learned from my dog






1. Trusting others is not natural.
2. The illusion of having control and trusting myself seems more comfortable, especially when an experience is new and frightening.
3. I must repeat an experience and then repeat it many more times before I begin to surrender my will and trust another.
4. The more experience I have in placing my trust in others the easier it is to trust them.

While hiking down a narrow slot canyon appropriately named Crack Canyon with our little dog last week, we encountered several steep descents. These descents were impossible for our four footed little girl to negotiate on her own. They required that we lift her up and out over 12 foot drops. Sometimes this worked better head down first and other times tail end first.
On the first attempt she barked frantically, fought us, backed away, ran away and had to be drug to the descent. As we lifted her, her paws beat a rhythm in the air and every toe nail was splayed at an attempt to grab any surface and not let go. This added much hardship upon us as we often were the surface grabbed on to.
We talked to her with a soothing voice, calmly trying to lower her from one of us to the other, between the rocks and to the ground. She was too frantic to be soothed. After a while we successfully achieved lowering her to the ground.

This process had to be repeated several times.

We looked at her and thought:
“If she could only trust us and not fight us by trying to do it her way it would be so much easier on her”.
“Doesn’t she know that we love her and would not let anything bad happen to her?”
“Can’t she see that we are trying our best to make it easier for her and to protect her from potential harm?”

HMMMM! It made us stop and think.

Our heavenly Father wants the best for us. He knows what harm we can place upon ourselves by making the wrong decisions when we can’t see or understand all the angles of a situation.
And He knows how much harder we make it on ourselves as we fight and struggle to do what we think would be better, easier or quicker. If only we would trust Him more.

It was interesting to observe that the more we repeated this process, the more she began to relax and to trust us.
HMMM!

The more I place my trust in Him when it is scary and doesn’t feel comfortable, the easier it will be to trust Him in more difficult circumstances.

Thank you lord Jesus.

4 comments:

Plant Lady said...

Welcome Back Adventurer!
Wow! What an exciting trip you had! I can only imagine the difficulty in climbing in and out of those crevices shown in your pictures. I can imagine the dog's fright also! I would be terrified.

You are exactly right. Trust does come with practice and experiences overcome. We all seem to struggle in difficult circumstances and try to overcome those circumstances in our own way, but usually making the road much more difficult for ourselves. When will we ever learn to "Let go and let God" handle those difficulties for us? A great lesson of trust learned from "Man's Best Friend"-a dog and
"Man's Best Friend"-God

Great photos!
Plant Lady

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Katrina,
I am so happy you got the permit. What an adventurer you are. My husband and I did a jet boat tour in Hells Canyon last August for our 10th anniversary, it was great. If you get that far west you should try it out, they have raft trips too, that's what we want to do next. Have a great fun safe trip.

Loves,
Lynn

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Welcome home again and thanks for the comments. The warrior thing is just me wanting to stand up and fight for God. The post that you saw "Cover to Cover" is a reading program that reads the Bible Chronologically. I just started but you read everyday (they have a reading plan) then you post about what lingers with you from the week of reading.

Glad you're back-Eager to see pictures.
Lynn

Julie said...

A great analogy. Thanks for sharing it.

I found you from Angela's (Becoming Me's) blog.

I see that we share a love for some of the same books.

It's nice to meet you,
Julie