Friday, June 27, 2008

San Juan River Trip


The San Juan is one of the most scenic and peaceful rivers that I have been on. The section from Bluff Utah to Clay Hill Crossing is 83 miles and meanders through the Goosenecks. It is popular for both its historic past as well as the geology. It requires a permit meaning that every year as a private boater you have to apply for date to "put in" or launch. This limits the number of people on the river and protects the wildlife and beauty. It is a lottery and so they select several groups to put in each day. We have not been selected but have managed to get someone else"s cancellation every year but 2007.
I think that I mentioned this before but we went on this trip on our honeymoon in 2004. we were so blessed with tranquility, beauty and the magnificence of God's creation that we try and go on our anniversary every year.
Next time I'll spend some more time showing pictures and describing a typical river day.
Blessings
Katrina

15 comments:

From the Heart said...

Katrina, What a blessing to be able to go back to what sounds like a very beautiful place and by the way - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

I think I've told you this before that I have an uncle who lives in Colorado Springs and he has often told us how beautiful Colorado is. My mother and several of her sisters flew out to visit him one year (can't remember when and couldn't believe my mother actually got on a plane). Some of her other brothers and sister drove out. They couldn't do the plane ride. My uncle is 87, I think, and not well at all. He has agent orange in his legs, and something wrong with his heart. Also his memory is not good, although the last time I called him he knew exactly who I was.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

We are leaving Sunday to go to my daughter's in Virginia Beach. We're takeing our grandchildren as they are going to stay all week with her. She's not married but is planning to adopt 2 children.
We will probably come home Tuesday or Wednesday. Their mother is driving up on Thursday and will bring them home on Sunday. Please remember all of us in your prayers.
God be with you,
AliceE.

Plant Lady said...

Katrina,
I know you enjoyed your time on the river. Trips like that are so relaxing. My parents and I were frequent river-goers here in North Carolina. We would go most of the time to fish and relax. Relax mostly, because each time I went, it seemed that the fish were on vacation!!! HA! HA! Fishing is fun for me if they are biting, if not, I'd rather be somewhere else!
Too tedious.

I have paddled down the river many a day with my dad. He did the fishing. I was O.K. as long as the fried chicken lasted, then again, when it was gone, I seemed to lose interest! Go figure!

You are right. Rivers are one of God's most magnificent creations.
The wildlife that you happen upon can give much enjoyment. We have seen ducks, deer, otters, and of course, snakes--one of which tried to get into the boat with us! Needless to say, I was ready to return home after that experience!

The "black water" is always beautiful reflecting the sky and the trees. Can't get more peaceful than that!

Well, back to the humdrum task of grocery shopping. While I am in town, I'll probably get a haircut.
Looking kinda scruffy -- will probably have to pay dog tax! Ha! Ha!

Blessings,
Plant Lady

fivedesigns said...

Hi Kat

I need you to lift me up like you always do :) Your trip looks fabulous! I wish I could of been there. Well today is my anniversary! 15 years and 5 kids later...I think I am completely down because nothing is happening and nothing is going to happen. My husband is in such a way because of his back that he just isn't there for me anymore.

My counselor says that I need to stop looking to others for picking me up and continually look to the Lord..I truly am but when you are that way for so many years its so hard!

Just pray for me like you always do. I know that we don't always remember the ones that we talk to online but I really am feeling the attacks lately and it isn't a good place. Feel free to go to my blog I think I have a great Lords Prayer, except no one has gone on to it :( I know I will talk to you later
Love Donna

Shirley Mary said...

The San Juan does indeed sound like a beautiful and peacful place to go. I'm looking forward to the pictures.
I hope that you will be able to continue to visit yearly through selection or cancellation.

Thanks for your comments on my blog and regardless of our age, things come into our life that all of us need to be reminded of the beautiful words in John:

"In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

mary

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Hi Kat
How is it going? You are quite the outdoorswoman.Hope you have a Happy safe 4th.
Lynn

Plant Lady said...

Katrina,
Hope you are doing fine! Haven't heard from you in quite a while.

Have you finished your gourds? I am anxious to see them! I went to a gourd museum on our trip. They had been collected from all over the world. Very interesting!

Plant Lady

Plant Lady said...

Katrina,
I "tagged" you!
Please come by my blog to get directions.

Plant Lady

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Kat, I know you are out there!! Where are you and what are you doing?
Anyway miss you and wish you would pop back in.
Hugs,
Lynn

Plant Lady said...

Katrina,

WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

I miss you.

Plant Lady

From the Heart said...

Katrina, I miss you too. Let us hear from you.
AliceE.

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Katrina,
Glad to have you back! :) I'm glad you got to do some traveling that sounds fun and you'll have to share your experiences. Talk to you soon.
Loves,
Lynn

Plant Lady said...

Katrina?

ARE YOU OUT THERE? Hello!

debrah said...

Katrina,
thank you for dropping by my blog.
sounds like you had a great summer!
I am so looking forward to Autumn...
The nights are getting cooler and we are loving it! The comment you left reminded me of the song that was on one of the other blogs (I Love my king..I think that might be the blog)but anyway it was a song called It's Gonna Be Worth It...
Have a blessed day.
In His Love,
Debrah

From the Heart said...

Katrina,
Welcome back. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I appreciate all the prayers. We will be leaving in the morning to go to Ringold, Ga. and won't be back until possibly Monday. The visitation is Saturday and the funeral is at 2 pm on Sunday.
Just keep praying for all that will be traveling.
Thanks and God bless you,
AliceE.

debrah said...

Hi Katrina:
Thank you for sharing Donna's email...she has been in my prayers...
Hope all is well with you...see ya back at Lynn's