Friday, April 18, 2008

This past month has been challenging for me. I was very sick with a virulent virus for 3 weeks, re-injured an old knee injury, had a pinched muscle in my neck and as I was lamenting all of this 2 days ago, I stumbled into a metal door frame and knocked my head and had headaches for 2 days and now sport a large left black eye. I am learning to have (some) joy in these circumstances. I have had more time to read, study and have time to meditate with God.
This weeks study on Songs of Songs and others events occurring this week (GODS timing) have caused me to reflect on areas in my life that I still need healing. I struggle with my femininity. Who am I? How do I view myself as a woman of God?
I have viewed myself through the lens of the world most of my life and I have not measured up. The enemy gave me lies that I have called my own: I'm not pretty enough, my butt is too big, breast's are too small, I am not good enough etc., etc. I defined myself by how I looked and what I did-what I accomplished. I strived so much of my life to be accepted, to be loved and to prove that yes, I am worthy, but all the time hiding behind thick walls and a screwed on mask afraid that others would find out about the real me. I accepted the lie that I was not worthy or good enough, not pretty enough and no matter how much I tried or what I did there was always some one better. And if anyone really knew me they could never love me.
These fears and shame lead to many poor choices and consequences in my life: pregnant and an abortion at 17, marrying a fun party loving man(non-believer) at 19. Struggles with who I was as a woman as I dealt with infertility.
My story didn't end happily as some other women's stories do,ie. " I had an abortion then God Blessed me with a child". I struggled with the lie that God must not love me if I couldn't conceive-A lie I embraced and a lie that kept me away from God.
As I grew older and more isolated in the lies, my husband continued to party, (drugs alcohol and pornography). I found my identity in my work. This worked somewhat until I broke my leg and was out on medical leave, and lost my job after 16 years of employment. I was undone-who was I and the search began.

God at work

The next 2 years I struggled as I grew in knowledge of Gods word, I was led into community and he began a process of melting walls from around my heart.
I divorced my husband of 30 years after joint counseling and his choice to drink instead of change.
God continued to work in my life. 6 months after I divorced, I met my next door neighbor a younger man, a man with a heart for God. We dated and fell in love and were married a year later.
To be continued....my journey from darkness to The Light

11 comments:

From the Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
From the Heart said...

Just wanted to thank you for your visit on my blog. The verse about "living waters" was used along with my logo when I had a card ministry through my church. In 1999 I had to quit work, after 34+ years, because of my health. I never felt that I could do anything for God. I was not talented in anything except working with my hands, crosstitch, decopage, and several other things. I can't remember them all.
Anyway, I had a fifth surgery on my neck in 1999 and after recovering I felt the Lord was impressing me to do a card ministry. Our church is very large and felt there were people who fell through the cracks. God helped me put the card ministry together and I did it until last year when I had to have back surgery (which I am still recovering but hope to be completely over it by May). The dr. said it might take a year and that year is almost up. To God be all the glory. Anyway the passion for the card ministry just isn't there anymore, but feel there is something else God wants me to do. I'm trying the blog, with God's help. I don't know if you read my comment on Rachel's site but I have changed the blogspot to fromtheheartae.blogspot.com. I have had trouble signing in with my blog name (still am) but I'm trusting the Lord to help me. When I posted the first comment I used the suggestion someone left on Rachel's site and it worked. Praise God.

I read your comments about yourself. We are a lot alike in some ways. I will be posting something today so feel free to stop by anytime.

I'm by myself most of the time (my husband is a partially retired grand piano rebuilder and retailer). I feel like I'm gaining friends from this Bible study which is so awesome.

I deleted the first post because it had an error in it. I usually go back and re-read what I've written.
AliceE.

Plant Lady said...

Katrina,
God is the God of new beginnings! It doesn't matter the circunstances we find ourselves in, He makes "all things new".

The important thing is that we answer His call, when He calls. You did, and thus began your journey of new beginnings.

I know each of us are different in that we have different obstacles that we have to navigate around. I, too feel as if I am just a "Plain Jane" with no attractiveness, yet people tell me I am attractive. The enemy has a way of convincing us that God does not love us because of who we are, what we have done, or some other lie from the pit of hell. We all know that the enemy is the "father of lies". So why would we listen to him.

Katrina, God has given you the ability to "see" these lies for what they are. Always trust Him to lead and direct you in your journey. God is your Creator and He pronounced everything "Good". His opinion is the only opinion that matters.

Most Wonderful Lord, Fill your beloved, Katrina, with Your Most Holy Presence. Comfort and shield her from the lies of the enemy and show her Your love and compassion. She loves You and strives to seek Your face. Draw near to her as she draws near to You, in Jesus' holy name.

Blessings to You,
Plant Lady

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Hello,
Wow I can relate so much to your story. I believed so many lies, did a lot of weird things and got into a bad marriage the 1st time around. I have the big butt and little boobs too. And I have the wonderful 2nd husband now too. So I really know what you are saying. I'm just now learning to be confident and like myself and focus on what God made me to be not what the world tries to make you think is what I should be.
Anyway, just know you're not alone, you were fearfully and wonderfully made.
Blessings,
Lynn

Shirley Mary said...

Thanks for sharing some of the precious memories of your grandfather.

Wow! The last month has brought some pretty stressful things. Hopefully, the "showers" are over for a season and you will enjoy some "flowers!"

I look forward to reading the rest of your life's story in, "My Journey from darkness to the Light."

mary

From the Heart said...

Thanks for your comments about the prayer. Please visit anytime. I feel like I am getting a new set of friends. An answer to prayer.
AliceE.

Paula V said...

I read your blog post the other day but didn't comment.

After reading your comment on Rachel's I thought I would comment to you. I totally understand about the whole Proverbs 31 and doing everything to measure up and feel worthy. The anger of that and the frustration by being a perfectionist...I'm with ya on that. I was driven by stress to a state of being unloving and irritable. I'm paying the price now. But I too am trusting whole heartedly in the Lord more than I ever have in my entire 13 years of my Christian walk. I know that God loves us so much and He will make good out of our mistakes. Romans 8:28 tells us in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purposes.

I hope to see you on my blog sometime. I pray that you, as many others have, will find encouragement through the words God has given me.

In His Grasp,
Paula

Paula V said...

I left a reply comment to you on my blog comments. Just thought I'd let you know in case you don't usually go back to the comments. (I'm anal and I not only visit specific blogs but also repeatedly check the comments on the same posting.

Lelia Chealey said...

OH what a beautiful testimony of just how God takes us just as we are & makes us into something so beautiful. I have some things in common with you. I loved how you shared this, just beautiful. On my blog I'm leading a study right now called Yes to God. The book we're doing is short & sweet by Lysa TerKeurst called "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God." I highly recommend this book. The chapter we just did...5~hit on a lot of what was in this post. The author too has had an abortion & it's amazing how God is using her too. I'm actually giving away a cd of her speaking about her testimony. Come visit even if you aren't reading the book right now, I'd love to hear how you're saying YES GOD. :)
I'll definitely be back!
Blessings,
Lelia

fivedesigns said...

Kat

Again, thank you for praying for me..I can't tell you how much that meant to me because it just confirmed that "God is working"..I sing that song from Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir always..it is so poignant! Also you are a woman I can relate to. I had a marriage for such a long time and because my ex could not stop drinking and womanizing also, I had to divorce Him. I too met my soul mate in 1992 and we may have many problems but our love is the love that comes across once in a lifetime.

After I read what you wrote me I cried almost uncontrollable because it just meant that He cares! It also means that we need to love one another..if we can love our friends who are not saved why can't we love our saved friends whom we don't know, even in church. He pointed out to me today that the biggest commandment He gave us is "to love one another"..that is why He woke you..because I have not being feeling loved by anyone..He wanted you to point that out to me..and it was an absolute prophetic word!! Praise God!!

I also wanted to tell you that my Mom pointed out to me about 1 month ago..I have always been abandoned by man and in my heart subconsciously I was feeling abandoned by God..I can't tell you the cry that I cried that day..it was true!! I knew that God wouldn't ever abandon me but through my divorce and abusive ex through my marriage and my present husbands disability, I have felt abandoned. So now you know why I was so moved by what you wrote..God has to show someone else that He loves me..and thats okay!! Thank you again and God Bless you..you are being used in so many ways, just like I am and we have to know that our ministry is just that...a ministry to one another..I love you!
Donna

fivedesigns said...

Hey Kat

I got your message and I too feel like we are together also. I have written another blog and I really feel like you need to go online..i feel like God has told me to write it for someone I just don't know who or what..you will understand when you read it..
thanks
I love you
Donna